What You May Call It

There’s a road near where I live that is flat and nearly straight, but it’s extremely bumpy because it has dozens of manholes. 
But every time I drive on it I think the term, manhole, is probably no longer politically correct. After all, women now often do the work that requires going down below streets.
But what else could they be called?
Either ‘person hole’ or ‘human hole’  just doesn’t sound right.
If we called them ‘street holes’ that would seem to refer to potholes, or damaged places in the pavement.
Can anyone suggest a better term?
Posted in

Janet Ann Collins